Mr. S and I

Saturday, November 3, 2012

something in the water

I have not been a very good blogger the last few weeks. Translation: I haven't blogged at all. Translation: I'm sorry... I'll do better this month. I had a pretty serious case of writer's block and I let life get in the way. Forgive me? In my defense, last week Kindal had a terrible car wreck AND our water line busted at our house, so I was kind of busy... but still. If I had time to Facebook, I had time to blog. ( See how I just disciplined myself? Beat ya to the punch!)


Tonight I wanted to write about something that came to my mind last week while I was at dinner with mom and daddy and Kindal. I was thinking about water. I try to drink lots of water throughout the day. If I'm feeling a little crazy, I add a lemon wedge. I'm nothing if not adventurous. Sometimes I eat cereal for dinner too. I hope you can accept that. I was looking at my water, lemon wedge floating freely... Water is an amazing thing because it can be so harmless, boring almost... " What will you have to drink tonight, ma'am? Oh I guess I'll have water." ( When you really want a coke but you aren't going to pay 2.79 for a drink. Ridiculous.) Water is actually an incredibly powerful thing. It can restore life, it can destroy man's creation in seconds. Things that took hundreds of years to build are erased... It can carve through stone, quench thirst... cleanse you.

Water is used quite a lot in the Bible. God used water to cleanse the earth sparing only Noah and his family. The water was a death sentence for mankind, but Noah found favor and in the same span of 40 days and 40 nights, the water carried him to salvation. Moses floated down the Nile in a basket. The water carried him to his purpose. He must become a son of Pharaoh in order to lead God's people through, you guessed it, water. Moses would later part the Red Sea and the water that led the way to Salvation from a Godless nation, would crash down on the enemies of the Father and become their graves. Jonah ran from God. Where did he end up? In the water. Well, in the belly of a whale who lived in the water, but in a round about way, he was as deep in the water as one can be. He was vomited up on the shore and decided that perhaps his future was better left to the one who filled the seas with water... and whales. In the New Testament, Jesus turns water into wine. It is his first public miracle and it will not be his last involving water. The woman at the well went to draw water because she was thirsty, in more ways than one... Jesus met her there and revealed who He was and who SHE was. He knew her. Her secrets, her shame, her mistakes and who should would become in Him. She came because she was thirsty, the tangible water made way for Living Water and she left fulfilled, for the very first time. Jesus walked on water, demonstrating that while he was  fully man he was also fully God. I don't know if you've tried walking in water... it turns into swimming real quick for us humans... real quick. Jesus calmed the seas, the same ones where he declared he would make his disciples "fishers of men". On the cross, his side was pierced. The wound released both blood... and water.... a means to salvation once again...
I don't know why, but that really just amazes me. Water. The stuff I drink from a bottle, even though it's a free, renewable resource and I can get it from my sink for free and I'm probably going to get cancer from drinking out of plastic every day... that clear liquid that washes my clothes, waters my yard ( I never water my yard but you get my point, you also know why my lawn is dead) and helps me brush my teeth is the exact same thing that flooded the earth. The same substance that wiped away a city in Louisiana, that parted before Moses and his staff, that carved out the Grand Canyon, that carried a baby to his destiny, that has crushed nations, that Jesus walked on.... water. It's not much to look at in a glass, but stand along the shore of the ocean, and try not to be filled with awe. Watch it drip from your hose and then look at the wall of water caused by a tidal wave and know that you are very small.

Tonight, I just want you to be in awe of the Father. I want you to think about water and see it's vast purpose. Without it you die, but caught in it's storm you're likely not to live. I don't have much to say about children tonight. I want them, you want them. We've established that. :) I hope that they, and you, read this and think about the vast power of God. He, like the water he created, restores life, sustains life, creates life and in the same way, he deserves awe. He should be looked at like the tidal wave about to crash, like the sea parting, like the gaping mouth of a whale opening wide.... knowing him is all the difference in how you see " the water".... it is either your salvation, or  it is your end.

We Press On,
LB


No comments:

Post a Comment